Well today Josh and I have been very busy getting our house ready for flier pictures. Our realtor will be coming on Monday or Tuesday to take the pictures and she gave us a list of things to fix up before we she comes. The sad thing is, the more we do, the more things I notice we should probably fix. I still need to put some touch-ups paint on our front door. It needs a little black paint to cover a couple of places that the paint has flaked off.
And as I was working in the kitchen I noticed a few places on the walls where we've patched, but didn't have the paint to cover up the patch-work. That probably won't get done before the pictures are taken, but we'll have to fix it before people walk through our home.
While Josh has been busily working on covering the edges of our new hard wood floor (so you can't see the gap between the floor and wall) I've been busily doing other odd jobs around the house. And this is when the "confessions start"
1. I hadn't dusted in months and months. The ceiling fan was disgusting.
2. I'm really embarrased to say this one, but I think it needs to be said. I've learned from working with addicts that it's best not to keep secrets, because secrets just cause more secrets. I'm hoping by admitting this then I'll do better in the future, so here it goes: I thoroughly cleaned my fridge for the first time since we moved in. Disgusting, I know. I threw away a lot of salad dressing and a few other things. I'm proud to say there wasn't any rotting food to throw away, so I am kinda on top of it.
3. I didn't clean out the freezer yet.
4. I hate cleaning. I do really well with the laundry and keeping up appearances, but I have always hated "deep cleaning". I really need to work on this. I know.
5. When we moved in the woman before us had painted one of the small bedrooms a bright yellow with a sunflower border. The combination was blinding to our eyes. One day I was so sick of it I pulled the border off. It was an improvement to my burning eyes, but what I discovered was that she had never painted the yellow wall all the way to the ceiling. Josh and I always said we'd finish it when we made the room a baby room. But that never happened, so the wall was never painted. Thankfully, my brother Jordan just painted his baby's room a bright yellow and he lent me the rest of his paint. Last night Josh painted the remainder of the walls with the yellow paint. My confession is this: The paint, although it is very close to the same yellow that is on the walls, it is actually a tiny bit darker. But I don't care. I'm leaving it like that. It's such a terrible color for such a very small space. I'm sure who ever moves here will paint over it anyways. I'm not going to put in more effort or money into trying to match the paint. Thanks though Jordan and Kate. I appreciate your willingness to share.
So far that is all the "confessions" I can think of. So here is what we've done so far to prepare to move:
1. Got new hardwood flooring.
2. Got new carpet on the stairs and all of upstairs.
3. Cleaned out all closets upstairs.
4. Organized the pantry and cleaned out the junk.
5. Cleaned the fridge, microwave, and counters (still need to mop).
6. Put new weather stripping on the front and back door.
7. Josh is right now putting the base boards around the new hardwood floor.
8. washed baseboards (still need to do some more)
9. cleaned the bathrooms and organized the bathroom closet.
10. Washed some walls.
11. Painted the front door on the inside (where the dogs have scratched to go out)
What we still need to do:
1. Clean out the laundry room.
2. Mop floors.
3. Paint front door.
4. scrub toilets
5. Go to home depot and get a few more parts.
4, Paint back door (where dogs have scratched to go out)
For all the work we've done we should get a medal. But I think, compared to what Jordan and Kate do every day to fix up their new house, our medal would be bronze, or aluminum, while they would have a gold, or even a platinum medal. Hopefully people will appreciate all the hard work we've put in to cleaning our place up. Now I know why there are some really crappy pictures on the Utah Real Estate website. People don't want to go through all the effort to make it look presentable. Hopefully if you see our home's pictures on the Utah Real Estate website you'll think it looks like we've put a lot of effort into making it look presentable.
3 comments:
Yep. I hope you guys get what you want for it. The market is pretty crappy right now for sellers.
Yeah. If it really sucks we might have to rent it out instead. Hope not though.
it's not that crappy for sellers under $200K. It's still a sellers market in that price range because there are so many people looking for cheap houses.
Post a Comment