As a poor, struggling college student I took a job working as a telemarketer for a mortgage company. Seven years ago interest rates were begining to lower, due to the start of the war and struggling economy. The lower interest rates jump started the housing boom, I was working for a mortgage company that was struggling because they dealt soley in Adjustable Rate Mortgages (ARMs). While every other bank's home interest rates were dropping to 5%, this company's interest rates were still two to three percent higher. My job was to call existing customers and explain why they should not re-finance to a fixed interest rate 2 to 3% lower than their current interest rate. It was difficult to do, especially when most people had been making only the minimum payment, which doesn't even pay off the interest! This would make their total loan amount increase each month.
It was a strange, yet fun job. I worked with fellow college students. There was always time to do my homework, or just goof off with my co-workers. Sometimes we'd get pretty rambunctious, then the computer would call a customer out of the blue. Our conversations were cut short and we would start reading what popped up on the computer screen into our headsets.
One day I was talking to a friend about all the things they sell at Walmart. Just as I was going to tell her about something Walmart shouldn't sell I got a call. And this is what came out of my mouth:
"They sell Shotguns at Walmart/Hello. Thank you for joining ____ bank. As a valued customer of ____ bank, I would like to take some time with you today to discuss your new Adjustable Rate Mortage."
I have no idea if the person heard the first thing I said, but they didn't want to talk. Can't imagine why?!

3 comments:
Oh thats so funny, i bet they thought you were crazy...
Maybe if you had said, "I know where you live, they sell shotguns at Walmart" they wouldn't have been so quick to pass up your offer.
Walmart shouldn't sell anything, because the second any person set foot inside the door they become an idiot with eyes glazed over and mouth breathing. I am not excluded from this.
The day my brother was being set apart for his mission a bunch of friends were at our house saying their last goodbyes before he left. The phone rang, and because I had an audience, I answered it "Hell, Satan speaking" which I thought was hilarious...however the Stake President on the other end didn't. Oops.
Post a Comment