I don't normally talk about spiritual stuff on this blog, but as I was sitting in sacrament meeting I was reading from the Wilford Woodruff manuel in chapter 22. The following quote really hit me because it's something I've been really thinking about lately.
"Manual Labor should be dignified among us and always made honorable. The tendency, which is too common in these days, for young men to get a smattering (I love that word) of education and then think themselves unsuited for mechanical or other laborious pursuits is one that should not be allowed to grow among us. Every one should make it a matter of pride to be a producer, and not a consumer alone. Our children should be taught to sustain themselves by their own industry and skill, and not only do this, but to help sustain others, and that to do this by honest toil is one of the most honorable means which God has furnished to his children here on Earth."
With the depressed economy I've been really trying to save money by cooking things at home from scratch. Not only have I been saving money, but I've been so much more satisfied with myself and have really enjoyed eating the food I've made. Turns out I'm actually a pretty good cook.
Yesterday I started making Amish Friendship Bread. This bread is unique because it takes 27 days to make. I'm looking forward to trying it out in 26 more days. It's called Friendship Bread because you're supposed to give away the "start" or batter to two other people. Click here if you want the recipe. I got it off the internet.
It's amazing the recipes you can get off of the internet. I found a recipe for gummy bears/worms, which has got to be cheaper than buying them at the store. I can't wait to try it.
Yesterday I made home-made Maccaroni and Cheese. I didn't even know you could make that until I was on my mission and a member made it for Sunday Dinner. When I asked what it was she was shocked that I thought Mac and Cheese could only be made from a box! It never occurred to me that you could make it from scratch!
Taking that quilting class has been really enjoyable and fulfilling as well.
I'm also very interested in planting a garden and maybe learning how to make a compost pile for fertilizer. Becoming a producer and not just a consumer is turning out to be really fulfilling. It's interesting that President Woodruff talked about this issue back when there were no Wal-marts, Costcos or other stores that make being a "producer" unnecessary. I'm finding that becoming a "producer" instead of just a "consumer" is making my life more fulfilling!
3 comments:
I hate waxing. I tried my back once and it hurt like heck. I want nothing to do with any sort of waxing.
I wish I could cook better. Maybe that will be something I will work on. You need to post some picks of you since you have lost weight. I am proud of you. It always make you feel better about yourself when you do something for youself.
Thanks for sharing :)
Post a Comment