Thursday, January 8, 2009

Funny/Rude things people say

This story will need a little back history:

A few weeks ago we had a Housing Orientation to orient possible new clients to our program. After the orientation was over we sent everyone to get a drug test. To be in housing, clients have to be sober. Well one client came up positive for cocaine. I called the client after getting their test back and told them that they were positive for cocaine. Here is the (backstory) conversation we had (this is not the funny thing by the way)

Me: You came up positive for cocaine.
Client: It must be a mistake.
Me: Drug tests don't have false positives.
Client: I was cleaning out some of my belongings and found some cocaine and I touched it so that must be how it happened.
Me: That's not possible. (*side note: touching drugs will usually not make you positive for drugs.) The lab can test for a level of how much you used, and your level was high enough to indicate that you used within a day or so.
Client: Well I'll just have to take your word for it.
Me: Well we would like you to go back to treatment and then we'll let you come right into case management for housing.

Long story short, the client pretty much hemmed and hawed about going back to treatment and said they would think about it.

So today I met with a new housing client who had just relapsed on drugs, but whom I was still allowing to stay in the housing program and not do treatment again. I made this decision because the client appeared to be completely honest and remorseful about the relapse (unlike the first client I spoke of).

Well, I started feeling like maybe I wasn't being fair, so I called the first client to give them a second chance. Here is what happened:

I called the client's phone and a man answered. I'm not allowed to say where I am from or why I'm calling if the client doesn't answer, so I was pretty vague as to my purpose in calling.

Man: Hello.
Me: Is "So and So" there?
Man: No.
Me: Will you tell "So and So" that Esther called and have them call me back?
Man: Hold on.
*I hear the man calling someone on his CB cell phone*
Man to client: Esther wants you to call her.
Client *upset*: She wants me to go to rehab! Why would I want to talk to that whore?
Man: Okay. *hangs up with client and starts talking to me again*
Man: They said they'd give you a buzz.

Obviously they didn't know that I could hear every word they said! Do you think that client burned their bridges today or what?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have THE BEST stories! Hilarious!

Williamson Fam said...

Oh that's great! What a idiot...

Cheeseboy said...

I haven't been called a whore in quite some time. Good story.