Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Apple Pie Filling

Last night I headed over to my brother and sister-in-law's home to help can some apple pie filling. Kate and I spent three hours canning 12 quart bottles. I think Kate did most of the work because she was in charge of peeling, coring, and slicing the apples. Good thing she had a tool that does all that in one, but I still think her arm must've gotten tired!
I was in charge of mixing all the other ingredients, putting the finished product in the bottles, and washing the dishes inbetween batches.
It was a lot of fun! Now I'll have 6 quarts of apple pie filling to use for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or some other occasion! Thanks Kate and Jordan for sharing your apples from your tree!

Here is the recipe:
Apple Pie Filling:
In 6 quart pan:
1 1/2 cups Apple juice
2 TBSP Lemon juice
9 Cups apples cored, sliced, and peeled, and cut in half.

Bring to boil then take off heat.

In bowl:
1 3/4 Cups Sugar
1/2 Cup powder pectin (Kate what is this really called?)
1 TBSP Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Mix until even. Pour into the quart pan with the apples after the apples were taken off the heat.

Mix a couple of minutes until the liquid starts to gel.
Pour into two quart size jars (each jar will make one pie) and screw on lids. Make sure lids and the lip, and sides of the glass jar are clean when you put the lids on.
Put in pressure cooker/canning pot thingy.
When the water in the pressure cooker is boiling then the cans need to boil in it for 35 minutes.
Remove from water after 35 minutes and store in cool, dry place until you use them.

5 comments:

The Yospe's said...

Actually Esther, you did all of the work! Without you we'd just have some wormy apples.

Jessica said...

Esther! Just stopped by and read over you blog, congrats on the baby!

Charis said...

So, Esther, you don't have to sign in to blogger to read my blog, it is not private, hasn't been in almost a year, ever since you asked me to change it. . . I changed it. People look at my blog from your blog a couple times a day, I assumed it was you, but appearently not, but people reading your blog, are reading mine too, on a very regular basis. So I do not know why you have to sign in to read my blog, because no one else does. I couldn't figure out why you had looked at my blog two times a day in the last week and still had not said anything about me being pregnant, seamed so unlike you. But appearently it wasn't you. But thanks. I am excited that I will be having a baby about the same time as you. Can you imagine Grandma Martin, and how excited she is about all her new great grandbabies!

Nikki said...

Thank you for the recipe. I need stuff like this and it sounds like something I could do. Enjoy your pies.

Charis said...

esther you are like sixteen days ahead of me. . . and your baby looks lots more like a baby than mine does. . . yours is out of the creapy look like an alien stage. . . it is kind of amazing how quickly they change. how are you feeling? I am just begining to feel like a human being again.