Friday, March 26, 2010

43 weeks

Well today I'm 39 weeks pregnant.

I had my doctor's appointment. My doctor isn't big on checking how dialated someone is until the 39th week. Consequently I had no idea if I was even dialated until today.

My doctor's office is slooow! They are always slow and I can expect to be there at least two hours every time, if not longer! Today was no exception. My appointment was scheduled for 11:45 a.m. I got there right on time. No need to be early. They never run on time there. I gave my pee test sample and went to the wait room. . . to wait.

At about 12:15 p.m. the doctor's assistant came to get me. She weighed me in (I'm proud to say I didn't gain any weight since last week). She then led me to the exam room and instructed me to undress from the waist down and gave me a paper sheet that covers me about 2/3rds of the way around, and to wait for the doctor to come examine me.

Well aparently the girl the doctor met with before me was having a mini-emergency and my doctor had to take extra time with her to make sure her baby's heart was still beating. Pretty serious stuff, so I can't really complain, but I'm going to anyways. . .

Meanwhile, I'm in this exam room, sitting on the paper sheet with my feet not quite touching the step up to the table, and nine months pregnant. FOR AN HOUR! To make matters worse, the room was getting warmer and warmer. So by the time the doctor came to see me the stupid paper was sticking to my warm skin. UGH! gross! Not to mention embarrassing.

Because I had to wait so long I decided to pre-registered for the hospital.

My doctor has NO good magazines to read in the room. The choices were Sports Illistrated, Pregnancy Magazine, and some magazine on Women's Health. I settled on the Women's Health magazine for a minute, until I realized the whole thing was about different kinds of cancer. Boring and depressing. No thanks.

So my doctor finally came in to examine me. I'm only dialated to a "1", and not even effaced. But I'm measuring at 43 weeks pregnant! Umm. . . Pretty sure you're only supposed to be pregnant for 40 weeks, so that means biologically I'm THREE WEEKS OVER DUE!!?

The hospital I'm delivering at won't induce women early if it's their first pregnancy. I've been asking to be induced from the begining. Since I've consistently measured two weeks ahead, and because now I'm measuring FOUR WEEKS ahead my doctor agreed to allow me to have an ultrasound on Monday to see if the baby is getting too big for a vaginal delivery.

This means they may induce me if he's a pretty big baby. So I'm hoping that I'll be induced on Tuesday (although my doctor has not promised that at all. It's just wishful thinking right now).

Josh says that our baby is destined to be a big boy. All of his nephews have been pretty big babies at birth. Josh is 6 foot 1 and my dad is 6 foot 2. Both are solidly built, so our baby has it in his genes to be born a big boy. And I can't tell you how many people have asked me if I'm having twins, or commented on how big my belly is.

I'm trying to aviod the necessity of a c-section if he's too big. So wish me luck that my doctor will allow me to be induced next week if necessary.

4 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Wow. So do you think that you will use the same doctor next time?

Esther said...

I like my doctor. I think the trick is to make my appointments first thing in the morning. Friday afternoons is not the fastest time, but I only work half-day on Fridays so it was convenient to not have to take work off every time.

Williamson Fam said...

Holy crap, i hope you go soon or they induce you soon, whatever happens make sure you have some good drugs..Your going to do great..So happy for you guys.

Charis said...

so how did it go? do you have a baby yet?