Sunday, October 10, 2010

Clam Chowder

This afternoon I made home-made clam chowder for  the second time.  I believe I posted another clam chowder recipe on here before, but I believe this one is better.  This time I didn't follow a recipe, I just made it up as I went along.  It turned out amazingly well! Josh told me it was the best soup he's ever had.  Here is the recipe:

Clam Chowder:
2 cans Chicken broth 14.5 ounce cans
1 can full of water 14.5 ounce can
4 medium potatoes cubed
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 leek, chopped
1/4 red onion, chopped
1/4 of green onions chopped
2 6.5 ounce cans clams, including the juice
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 stick real, salted butter.
1/2 cup flour

Instructions:
Pour the chicken broth, water, in a large pot, add the potatoes and cook on high for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, put all the chopped vegetables in a skillet with 1/2 the stick of butter, cook until vegetables soften, then add them to the potatoes and broth.  Let it continue to cook on a low simmer until potatoes are soft enough to cut with a stirring spoon.
Add the clams with the juice.
Mix the 1/2 cup flour with the 1/2 stick of remaining butter until the butter and flour are integrated together and looks like crumbs.
Turn down the heat to low.  Add the 1 pint of cream and stir in the butter/flour mixture.
Let it simmer just a few more minutes so the flour mixture can melt into the soup.  (This mixture is meant to thicken the soup, but my soup was not very thick.  You may have to play with the ratios, but like I said, I wasn't following a recipe and didn't want to ruin my soup.)

Serve!

No comments: