Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 10: A Favorite Recipe

Okay.  I'm sorry.  I know I haven't blogged in a week and a half, and more than 10 days have gone by since I should have written day 10 but I admit, this one stumped me. 
Not because I don't cook, but quite the opposite.  I LOVE to cook.  But my three absolutely favorite recipes: Clam Chowder, Sweet & Sour Chicken, and Cilantro Lime Chicken with Corn & Avacado Salsa. . . well, I've already blogged about them and posted the recipes on here.  So I needed to think of something new to share.  And I admit.  I was stumped. 



Until tonight.  Brace yourselves people for what I prepared for dinner tonight!:
Sweet & Sour Shrimp Stirfry!  I used the vegetables I received from my Bountiful Basket order.  If you haven't heard of Bountiful Baskets you simply must join.  Go to http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ for more information.
So without further interruption (other than this cute picture of Walter and me. . .well, he looks cute, but I look kinda tired)  Here is the recipe for Sweet & Sour Shrimp Stirfry
Sweet & Sour Shrimp Stirfry:
1 onion, diced
3 celery stalks, chopped,
10 small mushrooms, cut in half
30 green beans, cut in half
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 stalks broccoli, broken into little pieces, flower part only
1/3 head of cauliflower, broken in to pieces, flower only
15 sweet peas in pod
1/2 package fresh asparagus, chopped
1/2 of a fresh pineapple, cut into cubes
1 small package uncooked jumbo shrimp
Olive oil

2 cups rice, cook as directed on the package 

Step one: Start boiling the rice.
Step two: When the rice is about halfway cooked start the stirfry.  In a very large skillet add olive oil to coat the pan, then put all veggies in pan, coat with olive oil.  Stir as needed. 
Step three: The last five minutes of the rice cooking add the shrimp to the stirfry.  Let it pink up.  It will go from grey to pink.  Do not over cook.  When all the shrimp is pink they are cooked.
Step four: Add the sweet and sour sauce. 
Step five:  Heat sauce through and serve on rice.

Sweet & Sour Sauce:
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Worcester Sauce
1/4 Cup Honey
1/8 Cup Soy Sauce
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp (or more if you want it hotter) cayanne pepper
1/2 Cup Thai Kitchen Sweet Red Chili Sauce (purchased at Costco)

1 comment:

Heather and Jake said...

YUM. That looks soooo good. And packed full of veggies, which is what I love! I don't like salad, but I do love cooked veggies. Good job, Esther! And cute picture- you changed your hair, I like it!