I've been asked to post the recipes of the food I am making for dinner tonight. This recipe is a combination of the "New England Clam Chowder" and the "Manhattan Clam Chowders" as well as adding my own variations, from the Betty Crocker's 40th Anniversary Edition Cookbook from 1991. These recipes are found on pages 340 and 341.
Esther's Clam Chowder:
1/4 Cup finely chopped bacon
1 small onion, finely chopped, about 1/4 cup, or 1/2 a leek finely chopped (I prefer the leek)
1 pint shucked fresh clams with liquor (or 2 cans canned clams with juice)
2 cups corsely chopped potatoes
1/3 cup chopped celery
1, 12 ounce can chicken stock, or 1 cup water
2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley (today I'm substituting Rosemary for parsley because that's what I have)
1/2 teaspoon salt (omit salt if using chicken stock)
1 teaspoon chopped fresh, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves (I'm using fresh sage today instead of thyme because I have it growing in my garden).
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 Cups milk, half & half, or heavy cream, reserve 1/4 cup of the milk and mix it with 1/4 cup flour.
Cook bacon and onion in pot, stirring occasionally, until bacon is crisp and onion is tender. Today I'm substituting precooked crumbled bacon because it's on hand. Stir clams and clam liquor, potatoes, celery, and water (or chicken broth) into bacon and onion (leeks). Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in remaining ingredients, except milk. Mix the 1/4 cup milk with 1/4 cup flour to make a rouix to thicken the soup. Stir in the milk and the rouix mixture. Bring to a boil. Serve. Makes 5 servings, about 1 1/4 cups each.
No comments:
Post a Comment