Friday, April 11, 2008

Monkey Business



Monkey Business

Well usually I absolutely love my jobs, especially my part-time job, but then there are some heart-breaking times, like today. I just got a text message with a request from a client that my agency cannot fulfill. This is for my part-time job (for those that know what it is). I can't post the information because this I think it's too confidential to post, even if the client or my work never ran across my blog. But if you ask me personally I'll give you the jist of what happened.

Unfortunately and fortunately I was not involved with what happened, but wish I could have been there to help. I wish I could do something to help this client, but legally there is nothing I, or my agency can do.

Seems like this week is just full of difficult times at work. I had to play the supervisor roll for the first time this week, . . . a couple of times. It made me feel like when I was in high school having to tell a boy I wanted to break up. That uncomfortable, feel-like-the-Bad-guy feeling that no one wants to feel. I used to believe it would be easier to be the dumper than the dumped, but that's not true. It's the other way around.

Now I didn't have to fire anyone. . . Far from it. Just some constructive criticism (I'm talking about my full-time job now). I'm sure I'll soon get more comfortable being a supervisor.

I've realized something about myself:

I don't really like it when people don't like me.

I've chosen a profession where clients aren't suppossed to like me all the time, and if they did, I'd probably be doing something wrong.

Speaking of clients, I had to tell a client (at my full-time job) that they are inches away from losing their housing. I am really frustrated with clients that allow themselves to get to the point were they've sabotoged themselves, especially when they blame me for their own mistakes. But this client didn't blame me, which made this situation a little easier. Not to say I wasn't fuming! Not mad, just really concerned and extremely frustrated.

I am so glad it is the weekend. I just realized what a hard two days I've had and I need a weekend!





2 comments:

Williamson Fam said...

Sorry you had a hard week and i would like to know the details. Hope this week is better for you..

The Yospe's said...

So, What Happened? so glad I'm not in social work... though all jobs have tough points,it's just entirely different when your job directly affects personal lives.