
I've been thinking lately what I would do if I wasn't a social worker. Not that I want to change professions, but because I've found that I've become obsessed with television shows about crime and criminal thinking.
I loved Profiler when it was on t.v. in the 90's. I currently love Medium, and Cold Case on A&E which has is an hour-long program where one to two real cold cases stories are solved. I also love Law & Order, and other crime shows. Now I don't think I could be a cop. When confronted with someone lying to me I like to believe they are telling me the truth. It's hard for me to tell them I don't believe them or push them into telling me the truth. This is a terrible fault to have in my current profession. I have clients lie to me all the time. Eventually they do enough lying to get themselves kicked out of housing, or they just "age out" of housing when they get their Section 8 housing vouchers and they no longer require case management, or if they move. I know for a fact I've had clients lie about having people live with them, why they can't come to meet with me, or if they are sober. But I find eventually they either tell me the truth, or go the way of the world.
No. I couldn't be a cop. What I would like to be is a Criminal Profiler. I am facinated about how people think and why they think the way they do. If I ever get sick of being a social worker I would love to get a doctorate in Psychology and work as a criminal profiler. In an alternate life that's what I would do.
Josh finds things like that disturbing, but I find it absolutely facinating! Am I strange? I don't think so.
No comments:
Post a Comment