Saturday, November 1, 2008

Trick or Treating




Every year Josh and I head over to his parent's home to see his nieces and nephews in their costumes and help his parents with the trick or treating. I know what you're thinking "Why do they need help with the trick or treating? It's just a few kids, maybe 20." But that's where you would be wrong. Unlike most neighborhoods where you get fifty trick-or-treaters tops, Josh's family's neighborhood is a magical, mystical street where goblins, ghouls, and Hannah Montana look-alikes come out of the woodwork. And last night was no exception. In fact, due to the warmer weather there were more children working the street than ever before.


Every year Josh's parents purchase 500 glow-in-the-dark bracelets for the trick-or-treaters to wear so cars will be able to see them. 500. That's a lot. I know. If every child got just one bracelet, guess how many bracelets were given out? I'll give you a minute.



(whistling). . .



About 450. Yes folks! 450!!! From 6:30 to 8:00 p.m., an hour-and-a-half, 90 minutes Josh's parents just sat on the stoop of their porch, their front door wide open, (good thing it was warm!) with a line of children, 30 deep, constantly coming to their door for candy. It was non-stop! As fast as we could activate the glow-in-the-dark bracelets Josh's parents would put them on a waiting child's wrist. It's a good thing it was unusually warm because the front door never shut. You may think I'm exagerating, but I'm not. Next year I plan to video tape the whole experience to prove to my family that I'm not making this up. My parents get about 20 kids all night. Josh's parents get well over 400. We left a bowl of candy out at our home while we went to Josh's parents. When we got home there was still half the candy left! Josh's parents ran out at 8:00 p.m.

Two funny things that happened: Josh's mom is like the Primary president or something. One kid from her primary came to the door.

Mary: Oh! It's Steven one of my favorite people in the world.

Steven: I know! and then he walked away. No thank you necessary I guess.

Second funny thing: A stalky, heavy 13-year-old Tongan kid, who looks like he's 17 comes to the door.

Mary: I don't think this bracelet will fit around your wrist. Maybe you should hold it so the cars don't hit you.

Kid: Or so I won't get lost. (He was completely serious!)

One more fun thing about Halloween. . . We now live just 2 blocks from my brother, so before we took off to Josh's parents' home my two cute nephews came trick or treating to our home dressed as a monkey and the Incredible Hulk. So fun to see them all dressed up and making Halloween memories! So grateful to be a part of their Halloween memories too!

2 comments:

P Haggard said...

Ester:
This is Tricia Haggard. It was so sweet of you to comment on my blog. I do remember you and how sweet it is that you still remember my Katie. I would love to know that someone has put flowers on her grave. Let me know if you are ever headed to the cemetary in Hurricane. BTW-where do you live? my email imlosinit@msn.com

Williamson Fam said...

Sounds like you had an eventful night and what a great idea glow braclets are, the kids obvisously loved them.