When I got home from my mission, and after graduating college and moved back in with my parents (such a lame thing to have to do after graduating college) I started attending a student/singles ward in Salt Lake City. I got called to the Music committee in the ward, and although I can sing (moderately well), I am not much more musically inclined. On that committee I met this goofy guy, Lonny. (Don't worry. He won't mind me calling him goofy).
Well Lonny got this grand idea to organize a huge group-date to Lagoon. One problem: most of the people in the group date Lonny didn't know too well, but invited them because they seemed cool and he wanted to impress his date. He really wanted his best friend to come so he would feel more comfortable, but his best friend, Josh was shy and didn't really like to date or be too social.
Lonny called me to ask me out for his friend. I was reluctant to accept the invitation because Lonny's not my type, so I thought there was no way his friend would interest me. And because I had been dating a string of . . . let's say dead-end prospects, and was ready for a break. I told Lonny I would go, but "I don't want a project!"
Thankfully, the group didn't want to spend the whole day at Lagoon. At 6:00 pm on July 23, 2003 Lonny and his friend, Josh showed up at my door. The moment I opened the door I was awe-struck at how handsome Josh was. I thought "Well one point to Lonny for having a very good-looking friend!" I also thought that Josh looked familiar. Like I'd met him before.
Like I said, Lonny was trying to impress his date, so he cooked dinner for the whole group. The group consisted of 20 of people I didn't know, and honestly, besides Josh and Lonny, I didn't want to get to know them. They all seemed very stuck-up and "plastic". All during dinner (actually during the entire date) Lonny's date ignored him and talked with her best friend instead. She was acting really immature and very rude. Half-way through dinner I started mocking her. She didn't even know I was making fun of her (I know,. . . I'm pretty mean, but she was totally getting on my nerves, and she was being really mean to Lonny!) Well Josh immediately picked up on my sense of humor, and started laughing secretly at my jokes. This made me even more attracted to him because I love a man who thinks I'm funny.
After dinner we were off to Lagoon, the teenage hook-up capital of Utah. Lonny's date spent her time ignoring him, giving her girlfriend a piggy-back ride (weird!) and leaving every 10 mintues to go to the bathroom with her girlfriend. Josh and I were hitting it off and had a great time making fun of the other people in the group.
While we were in line for The Jet Star 2 I told Josh that he looked familiar. I started asking him questions, trying to figure out if we had met before. I asked him if he'd ever been to an LDS singles dance (those were very popular at the time). Josh said he'd been to one. I'd been to one or two as well. Then it hit me! "I think I met you at a dance last year." I said. "I met a guy that looks a lot like you. He played hockey, just like you, and loved Sobe drinks, just like you." I continued to describe this guy that Josh reminded me of. "That was me!" Josh said.
Well, over a year before our blind date , it turns out Josh and I had met at that singles dance. Not only met, but I had talked to him for an hour and given him my phone number. It was the only time I'd ever given my phone number to someone I met at a dance before. In fact, Josh didn't have a cell phone, so Lonny put my number in his phone for Josh! Of course, Josh is shy and never called me! He told me he wanted to, but was too afraid.
After Lagoon we got Arby's and hung out with Lonny at a park above my parent's house. He took me home, and we talked about the possibility of a second date. He gave me a hug, and that was the end of our first date! Looking back, five-and-a-half years later I'm so glad I took on that project! Josh is amazing! He is such a loving and giving person. I'm so glad fate made sure we'd meet after we blew it off the first time.
No comments:
Post a Comment