Thankfully, being Lactose Intolerant is not another one of my crazy pregnancy symptoms. I'm not Lactose Intolerant. And thankfully, my itchy rash is clearing up. My doctor says I couldn't have had PUPPPS because that wouldn't go away until AFTER I'd had the baby. I believe instead I had a break out of eczema. It was pretty crazy! I was getting itchy, pin-sized fever blisters on my hands, wrists, and feet and legs. But now they are clearing up and life is getting much better for me.Life is better for me, but for Josh for the past few months he has been suffering from horrible stomach aches, among other uncomfortable and embarrassing symptoms I'd rather not mention! So at my insistence he went to the doctor for a physical. They drew some blood and asked some questions and have a tentative diagnosis that he is Lactose Intolerant.
Yesterday we went to Whole foods and he bought some soy milk and other soy/rice milk/dairy-free items. So far he hasn't had dairy in two days. He says he already feels better than he has in months.
Does anyone know if you can eat bread products if you are lactose intolerant, or are we going to have to make our own lactose-free bread and pizza, etc at home? He's also wondering if he can have bread if we go out to eat, say to get a hamburger or something. So far he hasn't dared risk it. I think he's planning to avoid bread products all together for a week and then slowly introduce it back into his diet.
Poor guy though. He's really been suffering in silence for months. Being Lactose Intolerant sounds horrible, but there were much worse things it could've been, like Celiac Disease, where you're allergic to Gluten, which is found in most food items, . . . or cancer.
It's funny how we can become intolerant to foods. I have an intolerance to mangoes, and Josh to dairy. He offered to trade allergies with me. I think if I could I would. I LOVE mangoes. But then again. . . I LOVE cheese as well. So I'd have to re-think my willingness to trade.
6 comments:
Mu Principal is lactose intolerant and he eats doughnuts ALL THE TIME. He won't eat ice cream though.
Ryan had is as well, and breaf doenst affect him, so maybe just try it out and see if it does affect him..Ice cream and milk and cheese and yogurt are the worst for him, everything else he seems fine, but its no fun for ANYONE....
That sucks! But it's always a relief to get a diagnosis and figure out the problem. From friends I've known that are lactose intolerant, they can still eat bread and baked things. Just not milk, cheese, ice cream, pudding and yogurt. But they make dairy free ice cream, I think. And soy milk tastes good to me!
I prefer soy milk to regular... especially on cereal. I think it's great.
Check out this link... it has great and reliable information on lactose intolerance.
http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/lactoseintolerance/
Post a Comment