Thursday, April 1, 2010

Waiting and bored

Yesterday I decided to make it my last day of work before having the baby. Because Tuesday and Wednesday at work I only met with one client each day. I don't know why or how it happened, but I didn't schedule many clients this week so I didn't have much to do. I guess it's because I didn't know if I was even going to be at work this week. I was hoping to have the baby by now.

After two days of not meeting with clients I was able to get all my paperwork and charts in order. I made sure the case managers taking on my clients knew the most important things they need to know about them.

I looked at my calendar. If I had gone to work today this is what I had scheduled: Two meetings with co-workers to discuss our clients. I had already done this all week. Two possible, but not for sure appointments with people to enter them into our computer so we could bill for them. This is something other people are now trained to do so it was not necessary for me to be there today to meet with them. Not to mention that my doctor had rescheduled my appointment from Wednesday to today. . . right when I was supposed to be meeting with those two appointments because she had to deliver a baby on Wednesday when I was scheduled to see her.

Looking at what I really had to do today, I really only had one important meeting scheduled with one client. . . and it was going to be at 4:00 p.m. The last hour of work.

I looked at my schedule for Friday. Fridays I usually only work from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. My schedule was completely clear. Not one appointment was scheduled. So yesterday I announced to my co-workers that it would be my last day for the next three months, giving them last-minute final instructions. I'm sure they were just humoring me by letting me continue to drill them on what to do with my clients. I'm sure I probably already told them each instruction five times before.

Today I woke up and stayed in my jammies until 10:00 a.m. I went to the doctor at noon. She gave me the option of having the baby tonight because my blood pressure was slightly elevated.
This caught me completely off guard. TODAY?? I was wondering if it would be an April Fool's Day prank. But she was serious.

There were multiple reasons I wasn't ready to have the baby today. First, my doctor is going on vacation tomorrow until Tuesday and I didn't want her to be up half the night delivering our baby. I KNOW! That's her job, but honestly would you want to be on-call the night before you went on vacation if it was unnecessary? I wouldn't.

Not only that, but our bags aren't packed. Our crib is broken. I called today for replacement parts, but the company said because the crib is over 7 years old they don't have replacement parts available, and legally wouldn't be allowed to ship them to me even if they did because the crib is out of date. Speaking of the crib. . . Josh looked at it today and said all the plastic parts that hold it together are so old they are cracking. So I guess we're going on a wild goose chase tomorrow to find some sort of durable replacement parts, or some other way to have the crib hold together. So frustrating! I'm very grateful Josh's sister gave us her bassinet because that will buy us some more time on fixing the crib if necessary (or having to buy a new one).

Another reason I decided not to be induced is because my doctor told me it would significantly increase the odds of my having to have a c-section because I "don't have a favorable cervix" right now. Even with the baby possibly weighing around 9 pounds, my doctor said he wasn't big enough to induce. If anything, she said if he was a little bigger they wouldn't induce, but choose instead to do a c-section.

But what it boils down to, why I chose not to have the baby today is this: I'm not mentally ready to have him. I guess that's the main thing is that being induced today was just so sudden and unexpected. If she had said that I could be induced tomorrow morning then I probably would've said okay.

As it stands I'm scheduled to go in for an induction next Thursday, April 8th at 8:00 p.m. If I'm still not dilated (today I was dilated to a 1.5) then the hospital will give me medication that will make me dilate and I will probably have the baby the next morning.

So here I sit. Bored on my first day of maternity leave. I've decided that tomorrow is the day I break out the instructions on my sewing machine and start working on some sort of project. Otherwise I'm going to go crazy sitting around waiting for the baby to come.

3 comments:

Charis said...

crazy! I would have done it! I want this baby out of me. . . and I still should have three weeks left. . . I am very impressed that you have the will power to wait. . . your counter says you are one day over due. good luck. Keep us posted!

Williamson Fam said...

Oh wow, your good, my do doctor took me 2 weeks early and that was soon enough for me, and 9 lbs your gonna want a c-section...Enjoy your time off...

The Yospe's said...

Our Ikea crib was pretty cheap, and durable and nice. Plus, it won't get recalled because it doesn't have any moving parts.