Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Oh My Heart!

When I was in college one of my very favorite roommates of all time would say "Oh My Heart!" instead of "Oh My . . . heck, gosh, (etc.)"  It was very endearing because she was such a positive fun girl.  Her positive attitude was infectious and she was so much fun to hang out with because of it.

I believe I've always been a happy person, but I am very grateful for her positive example, especially in times of trial.  I still think of her these days and often miss her.

So speaking of my heart and trials, on Wednesday, October 27th I will be having heart surgery to correct what is called Wolff Parkinson WhiteSyndrome.  Apparently it is a condition I've lived with my entire life, but my doctor only found it when I contracted Cardiomyopathy after Walter was born.

It's ironic, because as a child I remember always feeling so cautious about exercising too hard.  I could never run as long or as fast as other kids, or do anything physical as well as them.  But I always felt that I shouldn't try too hard, that I should take it easy and didn't think I should push myself too hard.

Considering one of the symptoms, or consequences of having WPW is cardiac arrest, I'm very glad today that I followed my instincts, or promptings from the Spirit to not push myself too hard.

The procedure seems simple enough.  It's a two to four hour surgery and I should be able to go home the same day.  So wish me luck or pray for me so everything will go smoothly.  I'm slightly worried about the doctor doing the surgery because he's a little cross-eyed, but he was so nice and friendly, and it's nice to finally have a friendly doctor for once.

5 comments:

Heather and Jake said...

I'm glad you're back in the blogging world, Esther! We will be praying for you when your surgery comes around. Let me know if I can do anything to help. Haha that made me laugh when you said your doctor is cross eyed. I'm sure he'll do an excellent job, regardless. :)

Esther said...

I would like to add in this "foot note" that I couldn't exercise as hard as other children because I would experience symptoms of WPW, such as heart palpatations (racing heart), feeling dizzy, or light-headed, etc.

Williamson Fam said...

Oh my heart esther, you will be in my prayers for sure, and lets hope this cross eyed doctor will do great considerin his current condition...Love you!

Monica said...

I will also pray for you Esther! I think surgery of any kind can be scary!

Jenny and Josh said...

In our thoughts and prayers!!