Sunday, June 12, 2011

Spending Fast days 4, 5, 6, 7, & 8:

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  (I think that's how many days I need to update on.)

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday were easy.  It was getting much easier as I went.  By the end of my work-day Friday I'd only used a half a tank of gas, which for me is amazing!  I did this by rolling my windows down and not running my air conditioner.  I also used my car to only go to work and home (with a pit-stop both ways to the babysitter to drop-off/pick-up Walter of course).

On Friday my work had a retreat up in a canyon.  It cost $3.00 to get into the canyon.  I jumped on the opportunity to carpool with a girl who has an annual pass.  My cost to get into the canyon: $0.00!  I'm a Super Saver!

Then. . . Friday night. . . It got complicated.  Josh decided to come home from working out of state for the weekend, and I needed to go pick him up in Draper, 30 miles away.  There went my gas!  Now I'm at less than 1/4 of a tank, and I still need to drop him back off in Draper this evening so he can catch a ride back to Las Vegas to work.  There goes the rest of my gas.  Totally worth it to have him home though!!!  Until he decided to come home I was pretty sure I wasn't going to have to get gas until I got paid again next Friday.

On the plus side, Josh gave me most of his paycheck, and we FINALLY got a check from Paypal for a disputed item over a year ago!  Josh won the dispute and they mailed us a check for $184.00!  Josh's paycheck and the Paypal money all went directly into SAVINGS because I had plenty of money in checking!

So here's where I "bent" the rules. Before Josh gave me his paycheck money we went to lunch (spending $20.00) and got a few essentials at Wal-Mart: milk, windshield washer fluid (I was completely out in my car), baby wipes, and baby bum paste ($15).  I made sure Josh is keeping $200 for himself to use while out of town.  He uses it to buy groceries and pay co-workers gas money because he doesn't have a car down there.

So did I break my rule of not spending a penny until Tuesday (10 days)?  Probably.  And even if I technically didn't I'm going to have to break my rule on Monday to buy gas. One day early.

But I know I'm going to continue this experiment through the rest of the month.  I think I'll set aside days to buy essential items, like gas and groceries.  Then the rest of the month I won't spend any money (besides bills I have to pay of course).

Hopefully soon I will be able to accomplish my goal of not spending any money for 10 whole days.

No comments: